Monday, June 18, 2007

Honor Your Husband Challenge



Christine over at Fruit in Season has issued a 30 day Honor Your Husband Challenge. Here are the rules:

Throughout each day, put aside negative words and bring good to your husband by words and actions. Notice things he does for you and your family and show your appreciation. Compliment him. Speak well of him in public, both in his presence and when he is not with you. Give him the opportunity to be your hero and praise his masculinity. Tell your children (if you have them) how wonderful their daddy is. Accept his decisions with grace and really support them, even if you don't fully agree. If you have a disagreement, show respect by maintaining a pleasant tone of voice and eye contact. Serve him first at the dinner table. Don't be insincere, but surprise him by withholding a typical negative reaction in favor of a God-honoring one.

Choose a few small goals for yourself each week and make sure to post them. Write them on post-its and put them on your mirror, in your car and your purse, or anywhere else you'll see them. Keep a journal for the month about successes and struggles. What is hardest for you to do? What comes easily? How is your husband responding to your efforts?

So, here are my goals for the first week:

  1. Each day when Rich comes home, I will stop whatever it is I am doing to greet him with a hug and a kiss.
  2. I will say something positive to Rich everyday.
  3. I will think before I speak. Many times I react too quickly and end up saying things I later regret.

Will you join us? Click here for more information.

12 comments:

Christine said...

Great goals Melanie, I can relate to all of them. Blessings as you undertake the challenge this week!

Sheri said...

Hi Melanie, it's great to meet you and fun to know other ladies are working on this marriage challenge too. I know we will all grow and become better, more godly wives!

Also, the pictures of your daughters are beautiful! You are blessed.

Laura said...

Great goals, Melanie! I'm so glad you are doing this too.

Thanks for your sweet thank you note! I can't wait to hear how you like the book. ;)

TammieFay said...

So good to meet you Melanie! Thanks for stopping by! I am so encouraged by your goals and looking forward to what we learn from each other.

skier1998 said...

Hi. I really enjoyed checking out your blog. The quote at the top is a classic. Also enjoyed your post regarding the 30 day challenge and the link to Fruit in Season. Good stuff. :-)

Yes, I used to go to Vermontville Camp. Nice to hear from you. I remember you as well. Wow - that seems so long ago. It appears we have some mutual aquaintances. Jon & Leah go to my home church in Massena. Also, I went to GBS the same year as Joel & Matt. I have a crazy memory of five people - including Joel & Matt and way too much stuff crammed in a car for a ride home. Also, I was pretty good friends with Joel's wife, April, during college. Thanks for the comment. Take care. Have a great day. Stop by anytime. :)

skier1998 said...

I typed Matt but I meant Mike. Oooops. :-P

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

thanks for stopping by!
enjoy the daily homecomings!

Mindy said...

HI Melanie. Thanks for visiting with me.
I like the think before I speak thing.........I so need to do that!
I had a friend who called this (as gross as it is) diarrea of the mouth......pretty discriptive none the less and accurately so for me.
Looking forward to seeing how we are all doing in the next 30 days!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Great goals! I think this is going to be a HUGE blessing for all of us participating in this challenge. Good luck to you!!

JenLo said...

There is an awesome little book I got last year called "For Women Only" I had some really life-changing insights for me and I would highly recommend it. It's right along the lines of this challenge's theme.

Amy... said...

Good goals! I think I could really work on number 3 sometimes, as well.


I'm posting challenge related topics at www.i-choose-you-joel@blogspot.com

dgreenfamily said...

I like this a lot - Dad