Monday, March 31, 2008

Fun Monday

Robin from Pensieve is our host for Fun Monday this week and here is the assignment she gave us:

"...please share words that inspire and motivate you--brief or bloviatory, silly or serious, from great world leaders to last night's Comedy Central...from a Hallmark greeting card to your favorite book. Choose one, choose many; let the quotes stand on their own or tell where you first read or heard them and how they affected you."

I just have two that I would like to share- and they are both about kids and how fast time goes. If you have ever been to my blog then you have certainly seen these before.

The first one I say to myself all of the time- when I'm getting busy and Hailey is trying to get my attention I think of this poem. Then I put down what I am doing and spend time with my baby toddler.

Cleaning and cooking can wait 'til tomorrow
For babies grow up as we've learned to our sorrow.
So, quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

The next one is something that my cousin Lisa shared with me last spring. It was during a time when I was having a really hard time with Hailey and her sleeping. I wasn't getting much sleep at all and was feeling overwhelmed with a lot of things. So I had shared some of my concerns and questions with her. She offered me some great advice and shared this quote with me:

The days are long but the years are short.

I love this quote so much that it's posted in the header of my Livin' With Me blog. It's something I think about daily- some days really do seem to drag on and on. And then I stop and think that it just can't be possible that Hailey will be 18 months old in a week. And then I think that before I know it I'll be saying that I can't believe Hailey will be 18, in years instead of months.

And so, those are the words that are inspiring me these days. Stop by Robin's blog to see who the other participants are.

11 comments:

Denise said...

Really nice.

Pamela said...

that years are short is so
true.
she'll never remember the dishes in the sink

Jo Beaufoix said...

I love these quotes. I might stick the first one on my fridge, It made me get all choked up.

Anonymous said...

Oh, so VERY true. I noticed this week, that Poot has not only gotten taller than me, but his voice is going through that "cracking/squeeking" stage of adolescent. He's my baby... what will I do when it finally hits me, he's no baby anymore....

Hootin Anni said...

Cleaning and cooking can wait 'til tomorrow
For babies grow up as we've learned to our sorrow.
So, quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.


I really like this, a lot!!!!

kitten said...

Very good words to live by!

Joy T. said...

As someone who is just starting the empty nest phase of her life, I can say with all honesty the second quote is all too true!

Alison said...

those are so true....thanks for the reminder.

IamwhoIam said...

The year are short and babies don't keep, great prospective.

Sayre said...

The days are long and the years are short....

Truer words were never spoken.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that first poem and can tell ya, I've always tried to keep that in the forefront of my mind. My first baby is 15 now (YIKES), but I'd swear she was 18 months five minutes ago :/.

I don't wanna go back in time, but I have savored every moment...to the best of my ability, anyway.

The second quote is so profound! I LOVE IT! There's just so much truth to it...and I think it's one I'll remember without even writing it down.

Thanks for joining in this week...it has been a blast to read through these inspirational thoughts!

:)