Monday, October 1, 2007

No More Oatmeal Kisses

With Hailey's first birthday coming up this weekend, I've been feeling all emotional. So, this week I'm going to share some of the things I like to read when I feel this way.

No More Oatmeal Kisses
--January 29, 1969

One of these days, you'll shout, "Why don't you kids grow up and act your age!"
And they will.
Or, "You guys get outside and find yourselves something to do . . . and don't slam the door!"
And they won't.
You'll straighten up the boys' bedroom neat and tidy: bumper stickers discarded, bedspread tucked and smooth, toys displayed on the shelves. Hangers in the closet. Animals caged. And you'll say out loud, "Now I want it to stay this way."
And it will.
You'll prepare a perfect dinner with a salad that hasn't been picked to death and a cake with no finger traces in the icing, and you'll say, "Now, there's a meal for company."
And you'll eat it alone.
You'll say, "I want complete privacy on the phone. No dancing around. No demolition crews. Silence! Do you hear?"
And you'll have it.
No more plastic tablecloths stained with spaghetti. No more dandelion bouquets. No more bedspreads to protect the sofa from damp bottoms. No more gates to stumble over at the top of the basement steps. No more clothespins under the sofa. No more playpens to arrange a room around.
No more anxious nights under a vaporizer tent. No more sand on the sheets or Popeye movies in the bathroom. No more iron-on patches, rubber bands for ponytails, tight boots or wet knotted shoestrings.
Imagine. A lipstick with a point on it. No baby-sitter for New Year's Eve. Washing clothes only once a week. Seeing a steak that isn't ground. Having your teeth cleaned without a baby on your lap.
No PTA meetings or silly school plays where your child is a tree. No car pools. No blaring radios or forgotten lunch money. No one washing her hair at 11 o'clock at night. Having your own roll of Scotch tape.
Think about it. No more Christmas presents out of toothpicks and library paste. No more sloppy oatmeal kisses. No more tooth fairy. No giggles in the dark. No knees to heal, no responsibility.
Only a voice crying, "Why don't you grow up?"
and the silence echoing, "I did."

....Erma Bombeck


18 comments:

ZAM said...

OMG. My son's 2nd birthday is coming up soon and I was watching him sleep before I came to work today and I was feeling mushy. Silly mushy.... How time flies!

And this one here , your post is making me misty-eyed.

Andrea said...

Wow. Powerful!! What a good reminder that we need to cherish EVERY single second!!

Anonymous said...

Making me cry on Monday morning - now that's just not fair!!!

Great post . . . I need reminders like this, especially after a tough weekend like this past one.

Thank you!

tammi said...

Isn't it incredible how easy it is to forget our time with them is only temporary -- or worse yet, wish it away?!! Thanks for sharing the reminder.

Unknown said...

WOW!! they grow up fast. My little one will be one next month. Where does the time go???

Talk..to..Grams said...

Now you have me all teary eyed!! That is so powerful!! and true!! Blessing today!!

Andrea said...

We're in birthday mode over here too. Joelle turned 4 eleven days ago and Malia is two TODAY!! It was a powerful thing for me to read today.

I got a little misty like some of the others...

Thanks for sharing!

JenLo said...

Oh my word!! you are such a tear jerker!

Pam said...

Congrats on the first birthday...that is a special milestone (for both of you!). I know it is sad that she is growing, but there is so much fun to be had yet as well. I do love the piece you shared with us....thanks!

Can't wait to hear all about the first birthday! That is so exciting!

Sharon Brumfield said...

Yes, that makes me sad for just a second. And then I think of hubby and I finally getting some time to ourselves-- and I have to grin a little.

Talk..to..Grams said...

I am sorry your team lost!! I sure thought we would,too! I just did a new post at the same time you were there!! I was seeing if I could post an Icons again and I did!!!

Anonymous said...

You made me cry!!! I certainly remember and cherish those days and many times wish that once again my house would be a flurry of activities.

Susannah said...

So true, so true!!!

And nice to meet you. You might be interested to know that Marriage Monday has a new home. If you're planning to post your marriage wisdom some time this week (open topic) I'd love to have you link up at Chrysalis.

Blessings, e-Mom

Sharon Brumfield said...

Come over and see--I have something for you!

Shionge said...

Oh my Melanie..I wish my kids never grown up that fast sometimes too

Talk..to..Grams said...

Hi, I have a very lovely award for you over at my place!! Come on over and pick it up!! Love and Hugs, Grams

MommaBoo said...

After wiping the tears from my eyes, I printed this out.

It reminds me of my mother and all she's done and still does for me. I am not 5 anymore, but she's still a huge part of my life.

Moms ROCK!

my4kids said...

I've seen this before and it makes me misty eyed every time....it reminds me just how old my kids are getting!